The Tower, the Bells and the Ringers.

The present tower was built from the proceeds of a 'smoke-farthing' tax. It is of four stages, has an embattled parapet, and is crowned by seven crocketted pinnacles, the octagonal stair-turret taking the place of the eighth. It is 120 feet high and in 1911-12 underwent extensive repair.

The Bells
St. Margaret's has always been famed for its melodious and deep-toned bells. After the dismantling of the central tower and the building of the present tower (1444) the four bells were transferred and later (1633) made into a heavy ring of six. These were cast by Hugh Watts, a noted founder, who was in 1615 Churchwarden of St. Margaret's. He was Mayor of Leicester in 1633, and entertained King Charles on his visit to the City that year, when these bells rang for this great occasion. In 1711 they were increased to eight; and in 1738 to ten, and were described as 'the finest ten bells in England, whether tone or tune be considered'. In 1921 they were all recast and augmented to twelve and re-hung in a new frame, forming the heaviest ring in the East Midlands (tenor 33 cwt). To these another semitone - named Margaret - was added in 1944 to mark the fifth centenary of the building of the tower. A further semitone was added in 1996 to mark the seventy-fifth anniversary of the recasting of the twelve and the fifthtieth anniversary of the Leicester Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers. Many notable performances have taken place over the last three centuries; many of these achievements are recorded on peal boards in the tower or in the tower peal book. The bells are rung regularly by the local band, and for Guild practices and National event.

Ringing Sunday Service Ringing 10:30 -11:00 every Sunday. Other Services by request. Practice Night, Friday. 19:45 - 21:00 Peal Bands and Visiting Ringers are always welcome, please apply to the Tower Secretary: Carol Franklin, 58 Park View, Sharnford, Hinckley, LE10 3PT. Email Carol Franklin